As part of transforming the George Street area into a pedestrian and people-focused boulevard with light rail and other urban design improvements, we are looking to introduce a series of new, permanent public artworks. To support the work, we have developed a City Centre Public Art Plan with a vision of meaningful, relevant, and future-oriented works in mind.
We’d like to invite Sydney-based artists interested in the work to submit a proposal to participate.
Have a look through the Artists Brief and the City Centre Public Art Plan for details – but as a starting point, the judging panel will be looking at proposals that respond to Sydney’s history, unique climate, topography and harbour identity. Also, given the nature of the challenge, we propose that artist-led teams of architects, landscape architects and urban designers working together are best placed to devise an exciting solution.
This opportunity considers George Street as it stretches from Town Hall to Circular Quay. It’s up to you to decide whether you approach this literally, materially or conceptually, on a macro or micro scale.
How to apply
- Read the Artists Brief, the City Centre Public Art Plan and George Street Concept Design
- Fill out an Expression of Interest (EOI) form. To get a hold of this, you will need to register for the tendering process, by clicking here (registration is free)
- Email your submission to and
- Deadline is 11 am, Wednesday, 31 October.
Need to know
You will need to include:
- Your contact details, CV and brief summary of experience (artists with lesser experience will not be disadvantaged)
- Letter confirming your interest in the project and availability to work to the nominated time frame and budget
If you have any questions, please contact Barbara Flynn, Curatorial Advisor on or 0411 877 379.