The NSW Government’s lockout laws have had an impact on how people in Sydney spend their evenings. That’s why we’ve given more than $360,000 in funding to live music venues, theatres and community centres, as well as bars, pubs and stores.
The Roosevelt in Kings Cross is taking the opportunity to bring back the long-forgotten soul of an area once known for big talent in small, smoky nightspots.
Ben Hickey and Naomi Palmer, co-owners of The Roosevelt explain
The original Roosevelt was one of the first new-wave nightclubs in its era, combining chorus dancers with international artists and a big band. The performances would have been incredible to see – floorshows, dancers and big bands, mixed with comedy acts and solos.
We’ve recently been in touch with some performers from the heyday who have been telling us some wonderful stories from their time at the original Roosevelt.
Owner Abe Saffron was a big fan of the Las Vegas scene and brought over acts including Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr.
We plan to modify the venue to allow for a small stage and electronic equipment.
We’ll start by bringing back live music of the 1940s and 50s with small 2 and 3-piece acts. But you never know what the future might hold. Maybe one day we could return the venue to its multi-level glory, complete with its stunning domed ceiling.
Other upgrades and late-night programming planned by our grant recipients
- local live music at The Imperial Hotel in Erskineville
- better sound at Oxford Art Factory in Darlinghurst, The World Bar in Kings Cross, Hudson Ballroom in the city, Knox Street Bar, Freda’s in Chippendale and Staves Brewery in Glebe
- a monthly program of music trivia, slam poetry and live music in the foyer of the City Recital Hall in the city
- live music and dining after midnight at Foundry 616 in Ultimo
- ‘paint and sip’ and ‘beanbag and popcorn’ arthouse movie nights at The Tribe store in Darlinghurst
- cabaret performances between theatre seasons at the Eternity Playhouse in Darlinghurst
- author talks at the Ariel Booksellers in Darlinghurst
- new flooring, staging and lighting at the East Sydney Community and Arts Centre in Darlinghurst.
- film score covers performed live at Golden Age Cinema and Bar.